A few weeks ago we tackled the smallest room in your house in part 1 of our moving tips series – the bathroom – and today we move on to a room that takes significantly more time and effort: the bedroom. Compared to the bathroom, the bedroom requires a bit more thought, as it usually contains a lot more stuff! Instead of attacking this without a plan, use these bedroom moving tips to make this part of the move easy and effective.
Bedroom moving tips:
- Like the bathroom, start with a thorough cleanout. Toss/recycle/donate what you know you won’t use again – and be diligent about it – there is no point in moving things that will eventually be thrown out anyways. Think about your new bedroom – is it smaller? Will all of your current furniture fit? If not, consider donating or selling the extras before the move, rather than after.
- Pack smart. Instead of taking all of your clothes out of your drawers, consider just taking those drawers out, securing the contents, and transporting them that way. Use wardrobe boxes for closet items. Make sure to get a mattress bag to help keep your mattress clean. Keep all like items together and make sure that fragile items are secured using bubble-wrap or packing paper, and try to avoid leaving space in the boxes so that items don’t bang together during the move.
- If you are taking any furniture apart (with large pieces this is often unavoidable – many of those items probably won’t fit through the doorway), keep all construction materials in small containers or small bags, and make sure that they are well labelled. This will help avoid headaches when it comes time to reassemble those pieces.
- Make sure to give extra care to those big items that require it (furniture legs, mirrors, paintings, and electronics). Wrap them, tie them together, and protect them as much as possible to prevent breakage or damage of any kind.
- Label all boxes – and not just the fact that they are going in the bedroom, but also what is inside the box. This not only makes it easier when unloading (whether you move on your own or use a moving company), but also when unpacking.
Moving your bedroom can be a big task – but approach it the right way and it can be way easier. Getting a moving company can make it even easier – and save you the pain!
For more about moving tips or to speak to us about the benefits of hiring a moving company, please call Bradford Moving and Storage today at 1 (800) 263-3281.