Useful Tips from Your Trusted Newmarket Moving Company
Hiring movers sounds like a straightforward task: hire a company and they will move your stuff to your new place. Unfortunately, once you begin researching moving companies and looking at the fine print, it can become confusing to understand what services you are receiving, how costs are calculated, and what hours the staff will be working on your move. As experts in moving, Little Moves is here to help you pick a company that can provide the moving services you need, at a price you can afford.
Tips to Find the Best Moving Company in Newmarket
The first rule of hiring a moving company is to make a lot of inquiries before taking any decisions. There are a lot of differences between companies which may be hard to identify when looking online or first speaking with an employee. Here are some things to consider:
- Get recommendations. Ask friends, coworkers, and local real estate agents for reputable movers. Look for a Newmarket moving company that has an office near your home.
- Do an initial screening. When you have a list of recommended movers, go online to do a quick background check, using a website like BBB.org.
- Have at least three or four companies to call for an in-home estimate. Compare prices to see which company is the most affordable, but look out for hidden fees. Little Moves has no hidden fees or charges.
- Ask questions upfront. Some moving companies will bill for travel time, mileage, or add a fuel surcharge in addition to the original quote. Clear up the company’s policy when you first call so there are no surprises later on.
- When an estimator comes to your home, show them everything. Don’t forget to show the mover the closets, backyard, basement, and attic. If on your moving day the foreman believes you have significantly more stuff than was calculated in your estimate, he can “challenge” the original estimate before moving everything on the truck. While he can’t force you to pay a higher amount, he also doesn’t have to move your stuff and you may be left in a tough situation on moving day.
- Review the estimate. The estimate may be a combined document that, when signed by you and the moving-company representative, serves as your order for moving services as well as the bill of lading.
- Tell them about the new home or storage unit. Make sure the estimator knows about any conditions at your new home that might complicate the move. Tell them about any stairs, elevators, or significant distances from the curb to the closest door so that the team is fully prepared.
- Collect estimates in a moving folder. Keep this folder open in plain sight as other estimators come in. This shows them that you are doing your homework, which encourages them to be completely transparent and may motivate them to provide a more competitive quote.
- Compare the bids. Be wary of companies that come in at rates that are much lower than the others. Look at high bids to see where the extra costs are coming from.
- On moving day, get a written copy of the mover’s inventory list. Avoid any confusion or anything going missing by getting a full written list.
At Little Moves, we are experts in home, apartment and condo moves. Our team is here to help you with moving services in Newmarket. We offer packing supplies, storage, and an experienced crew on moving day, without hidden fees or confusing charges.
If you are looking for the most trusted and affordable moving company in Newmarket and throughout the GTA, contact Little Moves at 905-853-9899. You can also receive a quote or book your moving day online.