Small space, big change – dorm room living can be both very exciting and incredibly tough. Being away from home for the first time is exhilarating, but space is usually very limited and thus some careful pre-planning is required to make the transition as smooth as possible. Check out this list of college and university moving tips to help create the perfect dorm room checklist. Choose wisely – there are certain things that can be left at home and others that absolutely need to make the move with you!
What do you need to bring with you and what should stay at home?
- Clothes – do you really need to bring your entire closet? Probably not. Think about seasonal weather requirements, and whether or not you plan on heading home often, or just every few months – can you trade in some summer clothes for more cold weather items at Thanksgiving? If so, don’t bother taking them and then having to find the space to store them at the start of the school year. When packing, use storage containers that you can store under the bed – that way you don’t have to worry about breaking down boxes or storing suitcases.
- Bathroom necessities – try to bring everything you need with you, that way you won’t have to worry about heading out and buying shampoo or cleaning supplies. Bring a shower caddy that is easy to cart back and forth to the bathroom. Don’t forget your towels, or flip-flops to wear in the shower. Pack everything in a casual laundry hamper.
- School supplies – sure, you can buy these at the school bookstore, but if you already have it at home why buy it again? Carry all of this in your backpack.
- Electronics – obviously your computer and printer are coming along, but don’t forget an alarm clock if you use one (or just use your phone for this). Check what is allowed in your dorm room – a toaster/toaster oven, hot plate or mini fridge – these can help you save big when it comes to food expenses.
- Important reminder: Protect yourself from moving day theft by not leaving an open car half full of your stuff outside the dorm. Make sure to lock it before heading up with the next load.
Worried about getting everything there in one shot? Don’t want to deal with the hassle? Why not have a moving company do all of the work for you? That way you can be sure that you have everything that you need and want, and that it is being moved safely and securely.
For more moving tips for dorm room living or everyday moving please contact Bradford Moving and Storage today by calling 1 (800) 263-3281.