8 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Go through your home and make a list of what needs to stay, be sold, donated, or thrown out.
- Decide the date you would like to move.
- Call for an estimate, and show our Moving Consultant things that need to be packed and moved.
- Discuss if other services are required: packing, storage, un-Packing, etc.
- Keep all documents and information connected with your move. This information should not be
packed away. It will be extremely helpful on moving day.
- Gather information from doctors, business associates, clubs, dentists and lawyers in your new location.
6 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Notify your post office of your move. Get your new address and send out change of address cards.
- Arrange to have your utilities disconnected, such as telephone, cable, water, gas, and electricity.
- Ask the phone company at your destination if service can be connected before arrival.
- Ask your bank to transfer your accounts to the branch nearest your new home.
4 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Plan a garage sale – this will help get rid of the clutter.
- Transfer fire, theft and other insurance to your new location.
2 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Have rugs and drapery cleaned. Leave rugs rolled and wrapped.
- Prepare floor plan of new home and make extra copies. This will be useful on “move in” day.
- Plan a moving-away party for children and their friends.
- Make sure most of your packing is complete.
- Prepare meals between now and moving day. Donate excess canned and frozen foods to the community
- Keep separate any food, plates, utensils you will need during the last days. Be sure to pack
them on moving day.
- Make sure all laundry is clean, and remember to pick up any dry cleaning.
- Organize all of your moving and travel documents as well as valuables you will be taking with
you the day of the move.
1 Week Before Moving Day
- Take down all curtains, blinds, shelving units, etc. Unfasten any fixed carpets that are to be moved.
- Set aside and label items such as luggage that you do not want to be moved.
- Pack your car for the move. (Pack items you intend on moving yourself).
On Moving Day
- Be on hand when the moving crew arrives, or authorize someone in writing to take your place.
- All questions should be directed to the driver of the moving crew.
- Sign the form at the beginning of the move. This will instruct the crew to begin the move.
- Keep all children and pets away from the moving truck. Keep children on a normal routine as much
as possible. Set aside a few toys or set up a movie in a quiet room.
- Before crew leaves, take one last walk through to make sure everything has been loaded.
Arriving To Your New Home
- If some goods are to be stored, advise the storage facility of any items that you need to store or have
removed from your unit.
- Confirm that utilities will be connected on time.
- Pick up a set of keys (and make copies for you and the people in your home).
- Make sure all boxes and furniture are in the designated rooms.
- Check everything that was unloaded by the crew.
- Keep track of where you unpack boxes and where you placed them in your new home.